Help Erie Arts Opportunity While You Shop!

Help EAO while you shop!

donate to us for free, when you shop at these merchants through Causemunity

popular merchants

provided by: causemunity - where every purchase makes an impact

more merchants >>

Get Widget

Thursday, March 25, 2010

ERIE CITIZENS DECRY SECRETARY HANGAR AND THE “DEPARTMENT OF EMPTY PROMISES” FOR ONGOING POLLUTION ASSAULT FROM ERIE COKE CORPORATION

Billowing clouds of black noxious gases, coke ovens without any air pollution filtering equipment; toxic pollutants not previously measured by either the EPA or DEP; a possible criminal investigation against the plant’s president and environmental compliance manager - When will this environmental nightmare sustained by DEP and EPA foot-dragging end?

“After Erie Coke's power outage, I had to walk to softball practice with my sweatshirt covering my face because I could barely breathe the outside air. It smelled horrible,” said Liz Maier, a Mercyhurst college senior. “The whole incident made me realize how much we take for granted clean air. I can leave Erie after graduation in May but I know the people who live here will not be able to escape the pollution if incidents such as this continually occur. I like my green trees, blue sky and clean air. I think everyone in Erie can agree with me.”

A coalition of students, local environmental groups and concerned residents will be marching this Friday, March 26 beginning at 5 PM demanding swift and decisive action on halting Erie Coke Corporation’s assault on the health and basic well-being of the citizens of Erie. Marchers will gather where the Bayfront meets the Parkway in front of the Erie Waste Water Treatment plant on Erie’s eastside.

The coalition will include students and residents, members of Keep Erie’s Environment Protected (KEEP), the Green Party of Pennsylvania and the Gaia Defense League.

No comments:

Post a Comment